Wednesday, 30 July 2008

Wonderful Leaks


If you know me a little, then you may well know that leaky home syndrome follows me doggedly. Well before the shonky builders and Mediterranean-style architects combined their skill-set in NZ, I lived with a mastic gun under my pillow. Ropiha Street home, CityLife Church building - I know leaks.

It is with mixed feelings that I can report that Wonderful Home needs a mastic gun. The monsoon rains did a real number yesterday while I was there preparing the bunks for painting. So why is there water pooling on the main bedroom floor? The driving rain found a way straight up and under the sliding windows. Happily it is more straight forward in the outside kitchen. Four buckets sufficed. Mastic is already holding hands on the rusted iron roof. We may need to go and talk to the roofing boys.

Here is Sopheap (pic taken back in the Stepping Stones days) - she will be one of our two carers

The home is almost ready to go. Six beds are now in place plus two sets of bunks. You can only buy metal bunks off the shop floor here and they have a reputation for becoming bananas, so I tracked down a guy who would make us a couple of sets. They are a bit rough and not quite the agreed size ... and best of all they come with ready-installed termite infestations. The bug-off is getting well soaked in before they get painted. Some of our staff come on-board next week. Sopheap (a carer) and Phanna (part-time; he will hold all our volunteers together) cannot start until mid-August.

No comments: