Tuesday, 10 March 2009

Cambodia's most wanted

Meet Kamein, one of our many friendly neighbourhood kids.

I heard the gate open the other day, during our morning devotions time. I looked to see Kamein and his little brother slip into our yard and scoot across to our outside dining table. Milliseconds later and his little feet were flying out of the yard, a look of glee on his face and a little jackfruit tucked under his arm like a rugby ball. Close behind him was his comrade in crime.

I caught up with the little guy later in the day and asked for the fruit back, please. We explained that coming in to our yard and stealing was an inferior idea. Kamein was a pro. He looked me dead in the eye and said 'no I never'.

He convinced Bonna who was on translation duty for this bit of neighbourly education. I gently pressed again - that indeed he had and that my eyes had watched his every move. Kamein was a study in human nature. He held the innocent poise. Then his brain deciphered the content of my response. His eyes briefly flickered as he registered 'busted'.

But the 'busted' look was ever so brief. Without missing a beat he turned and pointed his finger at little brother, who happened to wander up to the gate at that moment. Genesis chapter 3 is alive and well in our neighbourhood!

Kamein - innocence behind bars

No comments: