Monday, 28 September 2009

Major milestone

My little motor scooter has just clicked over 10,000km. In the crazy traffic of Phnom Penh that would equate to not less than 600 hours of riding the little beast. Over those k's and hours I have been beyond fortunate with just two encounters of the close kind - both without injury.

To celebrate, I took my Spider machine out for a birthday. Marty has discovered a very good English mechanic who chooses to use decent replacement parts instead of the nasty cheap stuff. I got new bearings front and back, new front brakes (yay! - badly needed) and back brakes sorted. My little bike got such a shock that it promptly got a flattie!

Getting ready for its big moment ...

The roads continue to be ridiculously dangerous here. I doubt that ever a week would pass except we hear of someone we know, or someone who knows someone, who is in an accident. Last night it was our Bonna coming home after evening church and collecting a rock that landed her on the ashphalt. The week before last it was Sopheap's school friend killed when hit from behind by a car. Thus, Sue and I are hugely thankful for 10,000 protected kilometres in and around this city.

No comments: