Tuesday, 16 February 2010

Takeo Province

I was invited to Takeo Province last Sunday to speak at a village church. The invitation came from a lovely young guy, Pastor Samdy, who has a great attitude and (for a Khmer) a really outgoing personality.

Up to a year ago Samdy was caring for three homegroups in this area. Now, a lady in the church has made land available for a simple church building, a simpler little house for Samdy and his wife, and a good open concrete area between the two buildings. The church is growing fast with close to 100 people gathering. Samdy says a key to their growth has been the influence of five of his 'older' (as in 40-ish years old!) people in the area.

Refreshments! The 40km trip out is relatively straight forward, tho' about 20 minutes of the 1-hour motor-scooter jaunt is like being in a bouncy castle - the tarseal road having developed a continual wavey motion.

It was Valentines Day - with a bunch of items happening. Here the nice lady is singing a traditional-style Khner song. She is one of the key five.

Cambodians love the stand-up duo comedy routines - much like a 'Kath and Kim'. Here two local wags are causing something of a riot.

A big part of the fun in these outings to Takeo is the meeting up with people who have been in the Healing Home. This lady (ouch, I really have forgotten her name) was so quiet and sweet in the home, and in typical Khmer fashion she is looking staunch as in the photo. However, when she saw me in the church she was absolutely delightful, making a loud vocal fuss, stroking my arm and cuddling on my shoulder!

Speaking in the village is always a bit of an unknown. I try to keep things real simple with lots of easy-to-relate-to illustrations. My first interpreter dropped out after five minutes and another young guy stepped up. He went really well - mostly! When I thanked him after the service, he went all shy and said 'that was the first time I ever interpret'. Samdy wants me to come out again next month so I guess his interpreter will be having seconds!

No comments: