Monday, 2 July 2007

Language learning

Nimol is our Khmer language teacher. Don't be fooled by her sweet smile ...



... she is requiring our tongues to go where linguistically they have never gone before! We've moved to morning classes for July; Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. We have fun and we have pain ...still working on getting new words in without yesterday's words falling out. Anyway, merry niat mien crrew-sa harr-rin-will to you all.


The days in between are pretty necessary for practice and revision. Sue and I work on this together

It's fun using what we learn out in the streets. I did some brilliant stuff today and I could see that it never even occurred to the nice lady that I was speaking her lingo ... which I'm led to believe could be the norm for the next year or three. Susie turned a few heads yesterday with her 'somtoh' (sorry/excuse me) as she squeezed past someone in Psar Toung Tom Pong (the local market). Polite is noteworthy out here!

No comments: